Wednesday, March 27, 2013

03-27-13 Self-Assessment


Self-Assessment
Project 2 – Portrait
ART 214.01
Introduction to Digital Media Art
Professor Billy Friebele
March 26, 2013

Project 2 began by choosing a portrait of my grandson Luke who is eight years old.  I choose the photograph because of the whimsical hat and cape he was wearing.  Luke is an energetic and enthusiastic boy.  I wanted my portrait to visually express his special qualities and love of life.  My concept of the project was to show a realistic rendering of Luke set in a whimsical and loving environment.  I also wanted to express a grandparent’s love for their grandson.
The aesthetic quality of the image expressed saturated neutral colors and warm skin colors.  The foreground and less saturated colors in cool and warm color images.  I attended the Faking It: Manipulated Photography before Photoshop exhibit at the National Gallery of Art in March 2013.  The exhibit inspired me to create the background of the portrait.  I decided to create two watercolor images of a snail and paintbrush.  These images were scanned and manipulated in size and opacity.  The watercolor images supported text in the background image.

I appreciated the peer critique about my portrait.  When you spend many hours to create an image you become tired and you know there are composition problems.  I listen and noted the peer suggestions.  I adjusted my final image by better organization, contrast and intensity... 
To strengthen the impact of the portrait image, I need to add more contrast and less confusing background.  My first image the background and foreground color saturation was the same intensity.  Changes to the watercolor images are needed to create a more unified image.  These changes will help to express my goals to create a whimsical and loving environment for the image. 
The greatest frustration was the use of two different Illustrator programs.  I had the newest Illustrator program on my PC computer and the lab’s computer is loaded with an earlier version.  I did not save the files for the earlier program version.  By saving the files in the proper version, I would have more success in the extra lab time I attended.  I enjoyed working with Illustrator program.

After the critique, I adjusted the contrast, color intensity and saturation.  The background was organized to show a unified background.  The watercolor images have a variation in size and opacity.  The hat’s opacity was increased to 100% and the cape’s opacity remained at 20% opacity.  The lower opacity helps create the connection between reality and intangible love of grandparents.  Love of grandparents engulfs the grandchild from the moment of creation to eternity.  Love can be whimsical and never ending.  I want to express my love of my grandson Luke.  The images express how a grandmother’s love is a part of Luke life.  This expression of everlasting love is visualized by the transparent cape.   Luke may not always be aware of my love moment to moment although my love always surrounds him.  The whimsical background is an expression of this love.  No matter his age or behavior I will always love Luke. 

In summary; practice, patience and perseverance are three things I learned using Illustrator program.  I was pleased with the results.  I appreciate the peer- critique to improve my skills.  I plan to use the program for future creative projects.  I think my next project is to create a similar image for my granddaughter Abby, Luke’s older sister.




No comments:

Post a Comment